This has been a very weird week. We’ve had tornado watches, thunderstorms and beautiful sunny skies. This morning we have beautiful clear blue skies and the high should be in the 60’s. Quite a contrast to the tornado watches and severe thunderstorms of yesterday.
We went to the Ward Valentine’s Party. It was nice to be able to see all of the couples there and we even took some great pictures. We seem to have overcome the “Are you from immigration?” stigma. People are beginning to pose for us even before we ask them if we can take their picture.
We worked with Brother Zavala twice this week before he took his test. Don would work with him on his studies, while I learned to cook some classic Venezuelan food. I learned how to make arrepas and refried black beans. Arrepas are made like a pancake only you form them in your hands and cook them slowly. After they are cooked, they are sliced open, buttered and filled with meat, black beans and cheese. They are yummy!!
We got a phone call on Valentine’s Day letting us know that Brother Zavala had PASSED his immigration test. His daughter told us it was a “miracle”. What a wonderful experience we’ve had learning with and growing to love the Zavalas. We stopped by on Friday to congratulate him and he only spoke English with us. Amazingly, he was so excited to only speak English with us.
We had a meeting with Stake Presidency and the Zone Leaders this week. The Stake President wanted to start a new Retention Program; which President Uchtdorf had suggested when he was here. We came home very excited to have all male investigators taught about the Priesthood and given the “Will you commit?” challenge to hold the Priesthood before they are baptized. The challenge will be to get this lesson taught before they are baptized.
One day this week we were early for our appointment and decided to drive around and take pictures of houses in the neighborhood. We found some beautiful houses and some that are covered in mold. Many of the homes are raised on cinderblocks. Literally! Every few feet there are three cinderblocks holding up the house. You can see under the houses.
So, most of you know that I (Michelle) usually write this blog. So I’d like to take this opportunity to do two things.
First, to tell you all how much I love Don. He truly is a wonderful husband. I love how he loves the Lord and serves so diligently. When he puts his mind to do something, he can really focus and accomplish miracles. He’s working miracles here in New Orleans. I call him my “Miracle Man.” I’m so grateful for him and all that he does for me.
Second, I would like to express my love for the Lord and my great desire to do His work. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to serve a mission with my husband. I love our family and miss our family so much. I’m so grateful for Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer, and that He lived and died for each one of us. Know this; that I know these things are true.
May we each be filled with the joy, love and peace that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings.
No comments:
Post a Comment