This past week has been a very interesting medical week. I (Michelle) spent four days in the hospital. Same hospital, same hospital room, same doctor's group as last week when I spent two days there.
I went into Atrial Fibrillation again on Wednesday, they admitted me and I got home late Saturday. So here's the down and dirty details.
My thyroid is now hyperactive, causing thyrotoxicosis and the heart problems. The good news is that my former heart condition of a mitral valve prolapse has healed itself. (Evidently, as you get older the heart valves stiffen up. Since my valve was floppy, I just needed to grow out of it. Yaah!!)
I now get to take two different medications for my heart. One to slow it down and lower my blood pressure (which is normal), the other to lower my cholesterol (which according to all the lab tests is normal). I also take a medication to stop the thryoid from functioning. The heart medications are preventative, just in case I go back into a-fib.
Since my thyroid levels are so high, it will take a few months to a year to get this under control. So we are in for frequent doctor's visits and lots of lab work to make sure I don't have any more problems. Hopefully the endocrinologist's bedside manner will improve when we visit his office. We have an appointment with him on May 12th.
1 comment:
I hope everything balances out. Mike was born with mitro-valve prolapse (among other heart issues) and I get to see him suffer from time to time since they now have a new set of rules for the disease and he doesn't qualify for medication but still has the pain and flappyness. You are in our prayers!
Post a Comment