Friday, April 25, 2008

Atrial Fibrillation

This past week I (Michelle) went into A-Fib.  Thus this posting has been a bit delayed. 

Tuesday we went to lunch and then I drove across the parking lot to Office Depot.  Don got out to open the door for me and I told him I needed to sit there for a few minutes.  He said ok and got back in the passenger side. My heart was racing at 146 beats per minute.  So I took an Atavan (my standard procedure for a rapid pulse) and told him I'd just work thru it. So we went inside.  I couldn't walk very far before we found an office chair for me to sit in while Don finished our shopping.  He came back and I told him I thought I was in A-Fib - he looked at me, took my pulse and said, "Yep, you're in A-Fib." 

So he took me to the ER.  They came out and put me in a wheelchair and told me I would have to wait awhile.  The nurse came out, felt my pulse and told them she was taking me back right now.

Needless to say, it feels very weird and I felt very helpless.  They were able to do a chemical conversion. I had the great privilege of spending the night being “observed” in a very quiet hospital with wonderful food.  OK, I’m being optimistic. 

It was so nice to come home.  Don has been a real trooper, a great cardiac nurse while I continue to go in and out of A-Fib.  So we’ve been taking it easy the past couple of days. 

Don went into A-Fib a couple of years ago, so I think Heavenly Father was giving me an empathetic opportunity to feel what he felt.  

As a side note, I’ve found that the chase scenes in the old western movies even cause my heart to do what Don calls “taking a walk without me.”

We get more tests done today. Hopefully my heart and I will walk to the same beat soon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you are home! Take care of yourself. We love you, my whole apartment complex is praying for you! (I was outside when I got the phone call from Don)

Unknown said...

BTW you can change my name to Weight now :)

EvaMarieva said...

We always have you in our prayers but will double up for extra blessings!

Jarom & Crystal said...

Hi Michelle,
We hope you will be well soon, you are in our thoughts and prayers. We are glad that Don is taking care of you.
Love,
The Watts

The Ursenbach Family said...

God has a weird way of giving us opportunities to serve each other. Sometimes they are "weird" as you said. Get better!

Leslie said...

Hope you are feeling better.